Friday, January 14, 2011

Road trip with dogs - Day 9

We woke to a very warm morning.  When I walked the dogs the breeze swung round and suddenly became very cool.  By the time we left it was beginning to rain.

The rain dogged us for the whole drive to Mt Gambier.  Back on the main Highway we stopped briefly at Wendy dennis's polwarth farm and I picked a grab-bag of coloured Polwarth fleece as my memento.  I would have lingered longer but the weather was closing it and her beautiful red soil combined with wet white dogs was not a combination I wanted to make.

We listened to the national 24 hour news radio station and caught up on what was happening at home and around Victoria.  There was flooding in Victoria due to the humid tropical air being dragged down into southern areas, just in the places we are hoping to visit later in out trip.

Mt Gambier is wet, wet, wet!  We had to put the tent up in the wet but the camp site was well drained.  Once I had mopped up all the water in the tent from just putting it up, the water stayed outside  and we were quite dry.  The dogs had a pretty boring time of it all.  They had very little time outside of the crate, as I needed to keep them warm and dry.

The Blue Lake crater lake at Mt Gambier.

The crater lake is only blue in summer - I think it is a blue-green algae that creates the colour.

No comments:

Post a Comment