Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Road trip with dogs day 7

I had a very good sleep last night in a dry comfortable bed.  We didn't really sleep in but still took our time to get moving.  I had got hold of Charly who breds angora rabbits (Xichel bunny lady!) and found we had driven past her gate yesterday.  So today Bill and I went for a scenic drive through the fire ravaged localities of Marysville and Healesville etc, seeing the forest changes due to the firestorm 2 years ago.  We bough a bottle of wine in the Yarra valley for my Dad to thank him for the loan of camping equipment.  And then we retraced our steps to visit Charlie with her bunnies.  Gosh, the are incredibly fluffy and very hot to cuddle!  My dogs got to go inside a house and play with Charly's dog - and to meet a real bunny!

We got back to the cabin to turn on the TV and to drop into the unfolding disaster back in Brisbane.  We have an email from DD Claire who is coping well and will probably have people who are affected by flooding stay over.  I am desperate to make contact with my Mum who is in Toowoomba - she will be just fine, but my sister at the bottom of the range will have been affected by the wall of water that went down the Lockyer valley, but the phones are overloaded and I can't get through.  And Mum should know what has happened.

The weather has cleared for the time being where we are but there are promises of plenty of rain yet to come on our trip.
Veiw of the Yarra ranges on the way to Marysville.

Healthy trees around Marysville.

Burnt trees still regenerating.

Pristine forest of mountain ash.

De Bortoloi's vineyard in the Yarra valley,

No comments:

Post a Comment